IT STARTED WITH THE PRAYERS OF A BOY.
Concerned for the salvation of the children in the rural area surrounding the one-room New Castle school, Harold Oyer began to pray that God would plant a thriving church.
The beginnings were simple – in 1936 Vacation Bible School classes were held in the one-room schoolhouse. God blessed and Sunday school classes began in 1940. Within the next year regular services were held. Harold Oyer assisted with the preaching and Robert Zehr became the first pastor. When school consolidation threatened the existence of the church the schoolhouse was purchased. New Castle became an independent Bible church and has continued to flourish.
After more than 75 years, with the one-room schoolhouse still a part of our building, God continues to bless the prayers of those who call New Castle Bible Church their home.
“On this spot more than 50 years ago
Godly men met often to pray
Asking God to plant a thriving church
And God answered their prayer.”